- 'Let go, and let God.' As I stated before, I am learning this, but it is a work in progress.
- 'One day at a time.' I believe this, but last night I couldn't sleep because I was having panic attacks thinking about Jameson's 3rd surgery, 1 1/2 years away! Another work in progress.
- Usually there are 'two steps forward and one step back.' With every good day Jameson had during his hospital stay, it was usually followed by a not so good day(s).
- 'Enjoy every day as if it were your last.' I don't have this down, but I try. Sometimes I do have to throw myself a pity party.
- Take a bunch of pictures. I took so many pictures before, during and after Jameson's surgeries. It is so hard to look back at them now, but when I do, I'm amazed at how God's amazing grace got us through it! Also, don't forget all of the day to day pics. Those are fun ones to look back on.
- Go with your gut. Always listen to yourself, even if you are a bit neurotic (that's me). You could end up saving your child's life.
- Pray, pray, pray. Make sure everyone you know, knows that they need to be praying for your little one. Assign family members certain prayer requests to pray for every day...this is what I am about to do for J's 3rd surgery!
Monday, February 9, 2009
7 pieces of advice for a CHD parent
Yeah, I don't know if I'm very good at this, it's easy to give advice...but really hard to take it. So, if I were the perfect parent who never worried, here is what I would say to someone, because of course, I would be practicing what I am preaching.